Wildlife photography is twice as hard as landscape photography. Because your subject will not stay there for a long time, it can be super-fast or extremely shy that if it realizes you are around. It will immediately disappear from the spot. Therefore, you need to have the best camera for wildlife photography to capture the right moment. With a good battery, fast frame rate, and ultimate precision.
Table of Content
- 1 10 Best Camera For Wildlife Photography
- 2 1. Sony A9 – Best Affordable Camera for Wildlife Photography
- 3 2. Fujifilm X-T3 – Best Budget Camera for Wildlife Photography
- 4 3. Pentax K-70 – Best Camera for Wildlife Photography 2020
- 5 4. Nikon D500 DX-Format – Best Point and Shoot Camera for Wildlife Photography
- 6 5. Sony a7 III – Best Bridge Camera for Wildlife Photography
- 7 6. Canon EOS 7D – Good Camera for Wildlife Photography
- 8 7. Nikon D850 FX-Format – Best Camera for Wildlife Photography Beginner
- 9 8. Canon EOS-1DX Mark II – Canon Camera for Wildlife Photography
- 10 9. Nikon D5 – Best Camera for Wildlife Photography under 500
- 11 10. Nikon D7200 DX-format – Best Camera for Wildlife Photography
- 12 Best Camera For Wildlife Photography – Buying Guide
- 13 Final Verdict
Key Elements Of A Good Camera For Wildlife Photography
Most of us think that it is just the lens, which is important to click a beautiful moment with the best results. However, this is not the case. A wildlife photography camera requires a good sensor with an appropriate size, fast autofocus. A greater number of frames per second so that it can capture more pictures at a comparatively faster rate and better ISO range. A good camera for wildlife photography needs to have all these features at an affordable price.
All these qualities together with many others are important to consider while looking for the best camera for wildlife photography. We have trimmed down your search to find the appropriate device that satisfies your merit and requirements. So without further ado, dive into this article and choose from among the best-reviewed wildlife photography cameras.
10 Best Camera For Wildlife Photography
1. Sony A9 – Best Affordable Camera for Wildlife Photography
Sony A9 is the best camera for wildlife photography introduced by Sony. This incredible mirrorless device is light in weight, faster, more compact. Undoubtedly a better choice when it comes to making videos. It contains those revolutionary CMOS sensors that ensure the delivery of enhanced performance with less power consumption. Good battery life is critical when you have to wait for long hours behind the bushes to capture the right moment.
No viewfinder blackout is another game-changing quality in Sony A9. As it is a mirrorless camera so this quality helps the photographer to see the image exactly at the moment. It is captured without any delay. Unlike those typical mechanical shutters, the Sony A9 possess electronic shutters and so their continuous shooting speed is much more than the former ones. The shutter speed exceeds 1/125 sec, which is incredible.
Another amazing feature that cannot be compromised in the best point and shoot camera for wildlife photography is that it should generate little or no noise and vibration. Even a little noise can make your subject conscious and hence you would lose the perfect moment. When it is about wildlife photography, you need to be extra careful otherwise the animal will flee from the spot in no time.
- Moisture and dust resistant – The A9 camera has the perfect sealing throughout its body so to make it resistant in a tough environment with dust and moisture.
- Lightweight – Its internal frame, rear, top, and front covers are made from magnesium alloy material, which makes it extremely lightweight.
- Rigidity – Increased number of screws adds durability and rigidity to the camera so that you can use telephoto lenses without any wear and tear.
- Faster processing – It allows faster image processing speed due to a 24.2Mp sensor together with the BIONZ X engine and the front-end LSI processor.
- Shutter speed – The device has an amazing shutter speed of about 1/32000 in both S and M modes while other modes have a shutter speed of 1/16000.
- Silent Shooting – If you set the shutter type to Electronic mode and turn off its audio signals then you can do the silent shooting.
- Frames per second – it allows up to 20fps at a resolution of 24.2MP with no blackout and continuous AE/AF (auto exposure and autofocus).
2. Fujifilm X-T3 – Best Budget Camera for Wildlife Photography
The list of the best camera for wildlife photography 2020 is not complete without mentioning Fujifilm X-T3 high-performance camera. You cannot just get enough of its undeniably amazing characteristics available in a fairly reasonable price range. It offers X-Processor (4) and an X-Trans CMOS (4) that will go a long way. The camera can easily resist even in the toughest condition with its compact and rigid magnesium alloy body.
You can centrally connect all the accessories including HDMI devices and microphones needed to record a complete video, with a headphone jack of width 3.5mm instated in the camera body. It also contains a USB-Type C connector for fast and efficient transfer of data. The Auto Focus algorithm is improved by almost 30% for accurate face and eye detection.
- CMOS 4 Sensors – These back-illuminated 4th generation sensors featuring in X-series can boost its resolution to about 6.1 MP.
- Noise-free images – The enhanced ISO range allows lighter without decreasing the shutter speed. This increases image quality and reduces noise.
- 4thgeneration X processor – It has the latest processor in X-series, which improves image processing speed and its ability to trail continuously moving subjects.
- Viewfinder – It features an EVF with an amazing resolution of 3.69-million-dot and a magnification ratio up to 0.75X with a 100fps refresh rate.
- Film-Simulation modes – It offers 16 different modes for high-quality film simulation just according to your taste and desire.
- Video recording capability – This mirrorless camera has a refined HDMI output with a bandwidth of 4K/60P 4:2:2 10bit signal.
3. Pentax K-70 – Best Camera for Wildlife Photography 2020
Pentax K-70 fulfills all requirements of the best camera for wildlife photography beginner with a price range that is easy on the wallet. Do not get deceived by the price range, this high rated camera is known to provide crisp and sharp images due to its robust and responsive autofocus system. The device features a motion correction quality, which is indeed the best quality if your subject is continuously moving and you need to capture that picture-perfect moment.
Now, most of you might have to face difficulty in operating cameras while taking pictures. This problem is solved in the all-new Pentax K-70. It offers four-way ergonomic controls so that you can easily handle the device and access the button even while wearing the gloves on. This best budget camera for wildlife photography comprises various settings for an outdoor environment to adjust accordingly.
- Night Vision settings – It enables the photographers to click a perfect picture with the red light display feature by preventing the dilation of pupil at night.
- Shake reduction – This feature is achieved with a 4.5 shutter steps compensation effect so you get a precise result.
- Outdoor settings – the LCD monitor adjusts brightness level according to your requirements in outdoor view settings with varied angle adjustment.
- Prime MII imaging engine – This high-quality engine favors fast and efficient image processing with noise reduction technology to get clear images.
- Pixel shift resolution – It utilizes the SR mechanisms to shift image sensor approx. by 1 pixel thus capturing 4 consecutive images of that same scene.
- Hybrid Autofocus – The device offers phase matching of image plane elements. This feature enables hybrid autofocus in the live view mode.
- Weather-resistant – No matter how tough the weather is, this camera will resist water, snow, fog, dust, and sand with its cold-resistant, weather-resistant model.
- Reasonable price – Being the best affordable camera for wildlife photography, Pentax K-70 offers a wide range of features at a low-price.
4. Nikon D500 DX-Format – Best Point and Shoot Camera for Wildlife Photography
The Nikon D500 DX-Format is another best bridge camera for wildlife photography that captures the moments with ultimate clarity, sharp results, and awesome battery life. The camera comprises a lithium-ion battery to accompany you to distant places. The built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth feature allow you to access pictures on your smartphone and tablets. When you have to travel to far places to get the perfect click, every ounce matters.
This camera comprises of CMOS sensors. These sensors make it exceedingly lightweight with a striking resolution of about 20.9 megapixels. These sensors are in turn paired with an all-new EXPEED 5 video and image processor. This bombastic combination facilitates refined image quality, high sensitivity and overall accelerated performance to your ultimate satisfaction. This camera is accompanied by NIKKOR lenses that are renowned for their versatility and unequaled clarity.
- Lithium-ion Battery – The EN-EL15 Li-ion battery enables you to work for long hours at places with no electricity.
- Powerful AF system – It’s 153 points powerful autofocus system allows better and improved focusing of moving subjects under various conditions.
- EXPEED 5 Processor – Nikon introduced the all-new Expeed5 image-processing system that can achieve matchless image quality and a sensitivity of ISO 51200.
- Wi-Fi/Bluetooth technology – Now you can share those precious moments by connecting your smart devices with Nikon D500.
- Screen specifications – it consists of a touch-screen that can tilt at 8-cm/3.2-inches. The 2359000- dot LCD monitor enables comfortable shooting.
- Video resolution – You can use this device to make professional videos with a superior quality of 30p 4K UHD video.
5. Sony a7 III – Best Bridge Camera for Wildlife Photography
The Sony a7 III is yet another successful camera of the a7 series with enhanced results, better image quality and fast rate of processing images, which is why it is also considered as the best camera for wildlife photography. The camera does not offer a huge price in comparison to its superlative features. The high ISO range allows capturing moments without even concerning the image deterioration and noise.
This processing technology introduced in this device is better than its predecessors. It consists of the remarkable Exmor R CMOS sensors that make it light, weight so that you can easily carry it around. This technology also offers a remarkably high resolution of 24.2 megapixels to get clean, sharp and clear pictures. Paired with these CMOS sensors is an evolved image processing engine. The BIONZ X image processor facilitates a quick image processing rate.
The data processing capability is 1.8 times greater and the reading speed of this processor is about 2 times faster when it combines with the CMOS sensors. This quick data transfer rate is also due to the layer of copper wiring. This combination also favors rendering the true color of images with improved noise reduction.
- BSI full-frame sensors – The device contains advanced back-illuminated 24.2 MP CMOS sensors to capture the right quality image.
- Bluetooth 4.0 technology – You can connect your camera with other Bluetooth enabled smartphone devices to share those precious moments.
- Phase detection – The device features a remarkably amazing 693 phase-detection autofocus points that cover almost 93% of the image area.
- Improved focus – The Sony A7 III comprises of a good number of 425 densely positioned autofocus points for contrast detection.
- Burst shooting – It allows you continuous shooting at a rate of 10 frames per second with autofocus and auto exposure tracking.
- Live video mode – For the live video mode, it allows burst shooting at about 8 frames per second.
- Continuous burst – One continuous burst includes 177 standard images in JPEG format, 89 compressed raw images, and 40 uncompressed raw images.
- High video resolution – This camera support Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) and facilitates professional recording of 4K movies with almost 2.4 times increased oversampling.
6. Canon EOS 7D – Good Camera for Wildlife Photography
Canon EOS 7D is considered as the best canon camera for wildlife photography by its users. The standard ISO range of 100 to 6400 and a boosted ISO 12800 ensures that image is of great quality with reduced noise and less distortion. This amazing camera comprises of all qualities and characteristics necessary to make it the best camera for wildlife photography.
The device only weighs about 1.9 pounds so that you can enjoy your passion of photography by exploring distant places with a little weight. This camera gives you complete control over-focusing on different subjects. You can focus it either manually by rotating the lens or enable automatic focusing to let the camera do the adjustments in an optimized way. As compared to other cameras with a similar price range, Canon EOS 7D delivers quite satisfying results.
This camera allows you to make professional productions by letting you adjust the frame rates and exposure control by yourself so that you can have the desired results. This camera has the most enhanced Autofocus system as compared to every other camera of the EOS SLR series. These focus points are evenly distributed throughout the image. You can clearly view these points due to its intelligent viewfinder.
- CMOS sensors – This device features the all in one 18 Megapixels CMOS sensor of size APS-C to capture clear and high-resolution pictures in no time.
- Image processor – The CMOS sensors are integrated with the all-new DIGIC 4 image-processing engine to give fast results while capturing, storing and processing images.
- ISO range – This camera facilitates an amazing ISO range 100 – 6400. You can change it according to your preferences to shoot from bright daylight to night.
- Frames per second – It will generate continuous images at a rate of 18 frames per second so you can capture a whole movement of the continually moving subject.
- Movie mode – By enabling this mode, you can make highly professional videos and movies. All you need to do is to adjust the frames rate and exposure manually.
- Video resolution – You can record videos at an amazing resolution of 1920 x 1080 at 30 pixels with a size of 4 GB per clip.
- HDMI output – After creating and saving movies, you can also view them in full HD quality with an HDMI output.
- Phenomenal viewfinder – Its viewfinder enables a 100% field-of-view, 29.4 degrees view angle, 1X magnification, and manual dioptric controls.
- Magnesium body – The Canon EOS is composed of a rigid magnesium alloy body that makes it water, snow, sand resistant and increases its durability.
7. Nikon D850 FX-Format – Best Camera for Wildlife Photography Beginner
Nikon D850 FX-Format is yet another best camera for wildlife photography that will definitely leave you speech with its flawless features and the best ever results. We all know that overall Nikon cameras give promising results but this product proves to be the best than the rest. The exceedingly high resolution and the premier processor for image processing make it one of the top cameras to click natural habitats of wildlife with increased versatility and optimum results.
If you still cannot decide which camera is best for wildlife photography then this device is your answer. Nikon came out with this masterpiece after improving each and every aspect of all the key attributes, including enhanced autofocus, sensor design, dynamic range, Speedlight control, sensitivity, battery life, mirror, and shutter drive mechanisms, focus shift capability, and by ameliorating silent photography in the live-view mode, etc.
Previously we have seen cameras with higher ISO range. Sometimes this high range of ISO is beneficial in producing clear results, especially during nighttime as it increases the camera’s sensitivity to light. However, it has a downside to it. Increased ISO amplifies noise while amplifying the signals. Therefore, Nikon D850 consists of the lowest ISO range that ultimately increased the dynamic range.
- High resolution – the Nikon d850 consists of CMOS sensors with an exceedingly high resolution of about 45.7 MP without any optical low-pass filter.
- Ultimate processing power – This camera can process the images capture process and store images at a richer and sharp speed with no delays at all.
- BSI Full-frame – The device contains CMOS sensors with full-frame and backside-illuminated to achieve a surplus image quality with true color.
- Increased sensitivity – The Nikon camera is sensitive to even a small detail due to its extended dynamic range and the lowest ISO range i.e. ISO 64.
- Silent Photography – The camera facilitates you to make films, movies, and videos without any noise and disturbance in its live-view mode.
- Tilt touch screen – You can now get the shots from different viewing angles, navigate menus and control shutter settings with its touch autofocus screen.
- Autofocus – Its autofocus specifications are incredible with 153 focus points on the whole image surface along with 99 cross-type sensors to get those bombastic results.
- Best for night shots – if you set its autofocus to -4EV, you can take outstanding images even at night
- Subject tracking – You can easily keep track of a fast-moving subject without losing it with the smart AF system.
8. Canon EOS-1DX Mark II – Canon Camera for Wildlife Photography
Canon’s next best invention is the new and improved Canon EOS-1DX Mark II proudly classified as the best camera for wildlife photography. If you are a camera freak and you cannot compromise on the quality and precision of the results then this device will be your topmost priority. This camera is fully equipped with unparalleled and matchless features from clicking the perfect shot to process it with lightning-fast speed and creating professional masterpieces with flawless results.
A good camera must go a long way and endure tough situations with you without compromising on its functionality. That is why Canon EOS-1DX Mark II is made of tough and rigid magnesium alloy material. This material lasts longer and avoids any dust particles and water to seep into the camera.
In addition, all the ports and mounts are sealed to ensure rugged performance. This device is ergonomically designed to enable a good grip and for easy fingers placement. The buttons are placed in such a way that you can effortlessly make adjustments without losing sight of the subject. It can easily work for about 400000 cycles while delivering a superior performance of about 16 frames per second.
- LCD Touchpanel – The LCD touch screen of size 3.2 inches, will allow you to use it the same you use your smartphone with an anti-reflection design.
- CFast card slots – By using CF cards you can store about 170 RAW files of full size. CFast 2.0 cards can store 16fps data and 4K Ultra HD videos.
- Built–in GPS – the camera body contains a built-in GPS unit so you can automatically adjust the timestamp and tag your images with the corresponding location.
- WFT-E8A – This feature enables efficient file transfer of 5 GHz 802.11ac through wireless media with the all-new WFT-E8A technology.
- Cinematic Video – You can now record a 4K video up to 6fps. Also, 8.8MP images can be captured, viewed and saved from the recorded video.
- Autofocus Points – You can have clear autofocus results with the 61-point AF II system distributed on the screen with a good no. of 41 cross-type points.
- DIGIC-6 Processor – You can achieve fast, clear and efficient results with matchless performance through the combination of DIGIC-6 processor with RGB-IR sensors.
- Viewfinder II – The smart viewfinder shows details about shooting mode, AF points display, Electronic level, Exposure settings, and exposure level indicator on the screen.
9. Nikon D5 – Best Camera for Wildlife Photography under 500
Nikon continues to bring innovative products for its customers without compromising on the design, result, performance, speed, storage, and quality. Here we are presenting you the Nikon D5 camera with considerable advancement in the autofocus system, sensor design, image processor and metering to make sure that it comes as an innovation and not iteration. You can easily find the best camera for wildlife photography under 500 but such cameras are as good as their price.
Now you do not need to compromise on the quality of results because Nikon D5 gives exceptionally good results that are close to reality. If you are spending a less amount on purchasing an average camera device but not getting the required results then it’s not worth your small amount of money. However, this remarkable piece is never going to disappoint you. With its extremely wide range of ISO from 100 to 3,280,000, you get more options for image adjustments by enhancing the ISO range and hence amplifying signals even in low light.
- Powerful processor – Nikon used its most robust and powerful processor known as Expeed 5 to master the image quality and processing speed.
- Awesome shooting speed – You can shot up to 14 frames per second with continuous autofocus and auto-exposure quality for 200 shots.
- Video resolution – Now you can create 4K UHD movies with best ever results using the built-in microphone having 20-step increment quality and auto ISO.
- Battery – With the rechargeable EN-EL18a lithium-ion battery, you can take it anywhere without worrying about the batteries.
- Touchscreen – The LCD monitor features a 2.36m-Dot touchscreen of size 3.2 inches to ensure ease of operability.
- CMOS sensor – The CMOS sensors support 20.8MP images of FX-Format to provide crystal clear images.
10. Nikon D7200 DX-format – Best Camera for Wildlife Photography
D7200 DX-format is yet another best leading camera offered by Nikon with an affordable price range and phenomenal results. Irrespective of its striking low price, this device does not compromise its performance. The integration of new and improved sensors with the high-quality image processing engine not only captures the sharp and crisp image with true color and less noise but also facilitates faster and better image processing, effective storage and smooth results.
In addition to these characteristics, the Nikon D7200 does not have an optical low pass filter that ensures that image quality is not compromised. It offers a high ISO range of about 100-25600. This range can exceed to a High-fi limit of 102400.
You may think that having ISO with high range is a disadvantage and it will create more distortions, however, it is the other way round. This increased level of ISO will make it light-sensitive so that it can capture more light even during nighttime. Hence, you will get something instead of getting nothing.
- NFC and Wi-Fi – This device offers built-in Near field communication and Wireless fidelity options
- AF points – This camera consists of a 51 point Autofocus engine that appears on the image screen. To have a closer look at the subject’s detailed features.
- Frame per second – The device allows the frame rate of 6 frames per second for 100. Continuous shots to capture continuously moving subjects.
- Image processor – This device incorporates one of the best image processing engines. The Expeed 4 for fast image capture, storage, and access.
- ISO range – the vast ISO range from 100 to 25600 allows you to capture moments under different light intensities.
Best Camera For Wildlife Photography – Buying Guide
While purchasing a camera you need to be extra careful as you are going to spend a significant amount of money. Finding the right camera for wildlife photography depends solely upon your specified requirements. Let’s take a look at the important factors that you should keep in mind while purchasing the perfect item.
- Autofocus Performance – the Greater number of autofocus points is always a blessing. This is because in this case, more information related to your image will be transferred to the Autofocus system. And hence it would lead to achieving results that are more accurate.
- Sensor size – This attribute is especially important in wildlife photography. It is because a greater sensor size will let you get close to your subject without even moving an inch. If your camera will have sensors of greater size. Then you do not need to attach heavy lenses to bring the subject into focus.
- Frames per second – if you want to take perfect pictures of animals that are continuously moving. Then it won’t be possible without a camera with more frame rate. Increased frame per second rate will allow you to capture more pictures within one second.
- Size and quality of camera – if you have to move to distant places. With uncertain weather conditions then you really need to purchase a camera. That extremely lightweight and have good water and dust resistant body.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Best Camera For Wildlife Photography?
Although all the above-mentioned cameras deliver fine and precise results those with high prices support many other promising features. If you are a professional photographer or moviemaker then you need to opt for a device with maximum resolution. Wide ISO range and greater continuous shooting speed irrespective of the price range.
What Video Resolution And Frame Rate Do You Require?
If you want to capture a video with matchless results and extraordinary quality. Then you should choose a camera with 4K Ultra High Definition video quality. As far as the frame rate is concerned, always choose the one with the maximum frame rate. The ideal frame rate for recording a video is 30 frames per second.
Should I Choose Manual Or Automatic Camera Settings?
Both modes have their own significance. Automatic mode is particularly useful when you have little or no experience in adjusting camera settings. In that case, automatic settings will prove a blessing in disguise. Manual settings are best if you want to have complete control in creating professional stuff.
So, first, determine your requirements and preferences first to select the best camera for wildlife photography. If you cannot compromise on the budget then choose a camera at a reasonable price. Otherwise, you can choose from among the top quality yet high-priced cameras to satisfy your desire.
You can also search for different products from the given articles.